Jeff,

> On Apr 13, 2023, at 15:36, Jeffrey Haas <jh...@pfrc.org> wrote:
>
> Acee,
>

>> On Apr 13, 2023, at 9:57 AM, Acee Lindem <acee.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I unclear on the "ease of use" gained by using YANG bits to define bit
>>> positions.
>>> IMO is would be much easier to use a protocol-specific leaf if you want to
>>> debug
>>> a specific protocol. An operational leaf like "raw-foo-field" is sufficient
>>> and easy to use.
>>
>> I have to agree. We did this for LSAs in the ietf-ospf.yang model.
>
> I see this for TLV and, LSA raw-data, not bit vectors.  Different use case.
>
>> Also, I tend to think this extension (if it were to become a requirement) is
>> overkill.
>
> I believe my comments at various points has been that this is a tool, and
> perhaps may be a best practice when it's helpful.
>
>> Typically, extensions using reserved bits must be backward compatible so why
>> do we need to encode these bits explicitly in the YANG models for nodes not
>> supporting extensions using the formerly reserved bits??? Also, reserved
>> bits typically “MUST be ignored upon receipt” and this is inconsistent with
>> that guidance.
>
> Sorry, did you read the draft?

I scanned the whole thing and read the recommended solution of having a second
leaf for the unknown flags. I also saw the entire IETF 116 presentation. I
believe I understand your motivation.

> The purpose of this mechanism is to provide visibility into unknown bits -
> and yes, previously reserved is the likely case.  Such things are useful for
> debugging - especially during incremental deployment of new features.
>
> A common failure mode during some protocol's incremental deployment is the
> older code passes along something that is problematic for its neighbor and
> something goes awry:
>
> A ---> B ---> C
>
> A and C support some new feature on formerly reserved bits.
> A sends the PDU to B and B happily ignores the new feature according to
> "ignored upon receipt".
> B sends the PDU to C and Does Something Bad.
>
> B isn't at fault.
> C is likely buggy.
>
> You want visibility at B facing C to debug it.

I don’t believe the above use case justifies duplicating every bit field.

> I'm not trying to boil the ocean for the raw PDU cases.  You've illustrated
> an example of one way to model that.  I'm picking at a small piece of one use
> case.

Right, you how would you debug an unknown TLV?

Acee