On Mon, Jun 5, 2023 at 5:32 AM Jürgen Schönwälder
<jschoenwaelder@constructor.university> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 05, 2023 at 12:07:49PM +0000, Kent Watsen wrote:
> >
> > Whilst the chairs haven't closed this WGLC yet, I propose a YANG-next
> design team, asked to produce a limited-scope I-D they think best.
> WG-objections of the form "my pet-issue isn't picked-up" should not be used
> to fail adoption (or, later, the WGLC).  Of course, objections to how the
> specific-issues picked-up were resolved are valid.  The goal being to most
> expediently (<1yr) forward the versioning work in a correct
> (contract-compliant) manner.  Support?
> >

> I believe the WG chairs should guide more actively here. Back in a
> day, the IETF used WG charters to define the scope of work items and a
> project to produce lets say YANG 1.2 would have been a WG charter
> update. For the charter update, the WG chairs would organize a
> discussion to agree on the scope of the work. While bureaucratic, I
> believe it was useful to work this way since it helped to get
> agreement on the scope of work.
>
> If the goal is to produce YANG 1.2 which (i) integrates semantic
> versioning into YANG and (ii) fixes known bugs in YANG 1.1 and (iii)
> does not add any other new features, then having agreement on such a
> statement will help to steer the process. Yes, we will still have to
> sort out what is a bug fix and what is a new feature, but this is
> easier if there is upfront guidance on the scope of the work.
>
> And the second incredient is a dedicated team to work on such a
> project, which ideally brings the major stakeholders together.

https://github.com/netmod-wg/yang-next/issues

There are 100 issues collected in this list.
Perhaps if people picked their top 3 issues, there might be a chance for
consensus
on some "must have bugfixes".  2 of my issues could actually be solved
without a new language version.
Maybe there are few if any critical bugfixes that require a new language
version to accomplish.

Another option is to drop the Module Updates draft for now and just publish
SemVer,
or just remove all the text that updates RFC 7950.

> /js

Andy