Further to Jan's comments, given that all organizations (vendors, SDOs, and
industry consortia) producing YANG modules all occasionally update then in NBC
ways to fix bugs and issues, then I presume that all pragmatic YANG tooling is
obliged to handle cases where modules change in NBC ways.

Hence, I see changing the following paragraph in RFC 7950 section 11 from

   Otherwise, if the semantics of any previous definition are changed
   (i.e., if a non-editorial change is made to any definition other than
   those specifically allowed above), then this MUST be achieved by a
   new definition with a new identifier.

   Otherwise, if the semantics of any previous definition are changed
   (i.e., if a non-editorial change is made to any definition other than
   those specifically allowed above), then this SHOULD be achieved by a
   new definition with a new identifier.

really as bugfix to RFC 7950 (given that it how everyone is interpreting it)
rather than a new version of YANG.

If, the landscape was different and everyone defining YANG 1 and YANG 1.1
modules was only making BC changes, then I would advocate for a new version of
YANG, but that is not where we are, as has Jan as explained below, I think that
defining a new version of YANG for this will just cause pain/confusion rather
than any wider benefit to the industry.

Regards,
Rob

// As a contributor