On 13/09/2023 16.36, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:

Dne 13. 09. 23 v 16:06 Jernej Tuljak napsal(a):

If you are asking whether I'd like to see a new version of YANG for the sole purpose of changing those MUST and MUST NOTs - no, I would not. However, a change like this mandates a yang-version bump, IMHO.

Right, so we have two ugly options, but bumping YANG version really makes no sense, so breaking those few tools that check update rules looks like a better choice to me.

We have already seen cases that the update rules prevented fixing problems in YANG modules in a straightforward way, and backward-compatible fixes negatively affected module readability. This is inevitable until the ecosystem of YANG modules stabilizes. That's why I think changing update rules from MUST to SHOULD is appropriate - it should have been so from the beginning.

+1.

Regards,
Robert