It is easy to write a short RFC updating RFC 7950, changing one
sentence from MUST to SHOULD. This is inline with the goal to not
change the language, i.e., to keep the version numbers.

/js

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 03:00:19PM +0000, Jason Sterne (Nokia) wrote:
> Hello NETMOD WG,
>
> We've had a poll going for a few weeks to determine if we require YANG 1.2
> for allowing ("SHOULD NOT") NBC changes (see "Poll on YANG Versioning NBC
> Approach").
>
> As part of that, some discussion has happened on the list around potentially
> doing an errata for RFC7950/6020 or a bis of 7950/6020 (if rough consensus is
> reached for option 1 of the poll)
>
> 7-8 of us discussed this in the YANG Versioning weekly call group today.
>
> First of all: this question of mechanics (errata vs bis vs Module Versioning
> draft) is orthogonal to the poll. Let's first and separately resolve the poll
> and confirm if we need YANG 1.2 or not (that's the fundamental question the
> poll is resolving - everything else is a subsequent issue to be discussed).
> We'll let the chairs confirm when/if rough consensus on the poll has been
> reached.
>
> But *if* the answer to the poll is option 1, then the weekly call group was
> unanimous that we should not do an errata for RFC7950/6020 and we should not
> do a 7950/6020 bis. We should just continue with the Module Versioning draft
> which will update 7950 and 6020.
>
> The primary reason is that we shouldn't just change MUST NOT to SHOULD NOT
> without also tying it together with the mandatory top level
> rev:non-backwards-compatible extension when an NBC change is done. Changing
> the NBC rule to SHOULD NOT needs to be in the same RFC as the mandatory
> rev:non-backwards-compatible tag.
>
> Other reasons:
>
>   *   an errata probably isn't correct since this isn't fixing an intent that
> was present back when 7950 was written (it was clearly the intent at the time
> to block NBC changes)
>   *   a bis would be odd without actually introducing other changes to YANG
> and changing the version (this discussion is all based on "if the answer to
> the poll is option 1")
>
> Jason (he/him)

Jürgen Schönwälder              Constructor University Bremen gGmbH
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://constructor.university/>