On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 9:42 AM Kent Watsen <kent+i...@watsen.net> wrote:

> NETMOD WG,
>
> This email begins a 2-week adoption poll for:
>
> YANG Metadata Annotation for Immutable Flag
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ma-netmod-immutable-flag-09

I support the problem statement.
The solution has minor resolvable issues, so no objections to adoption.

There is a larger concern here, which is the ad-hoc approach to metadata in
YANG protocols.

1)   data nodes returned with attributes and use a parameter to opt-in to
the added metadata
     e.g.: with-defaults and with-origin

2) node-tags monitoring data representing data nodes with metadata

3) separate datastore containing data nodes and their presence and value is
supposed
    to be a replacement for metadata.

I prefer approach (1), which is what is used in this draft.
It is the simplest to use.

It looks like the WG is headed in a direction where there will be some of
each approach,
and each bit of metadata will require yet another ad-hoc solution.

Andy

There is no known IPR on this draft: