I wonder which problem we are solving with adding more little rules.
Perhaps a future version of YANG will do away with prefixes but until
this happens, I do not think we need to add more rules about how to
choose prefixes. The original intend was that they are short to keep
YANG snippets concise and easy to read.

/js

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 01:02:58PM +0000, mohamed.boucad...@orange.com wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> (changing the subject to ease tracking this)
>
> The thread I was referring is:
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/netmod/6VkSrroaxwXHSI19Jj0j-tbFCjA/
>
> I do personally think that it is a good guidance to prefix IETF modules with
> “ietf-“ and IANA-maintained ones with “iana-‘. This is consistent with the
> practice we followed recently for iana-maintained modules.
>
> If we recommend this prefix pattern, I’m afraid that we need to revisit the
> text about short prefixes, e.g.,
>
> OLD:
>    Prefix values SHOULD be short but are also likely to be unique.
>    Prefix values SHOULD NOT conflict with known modules that have been
>    previously published.
>
> NEW:
>    Prefix values SHOULD be prefixed with “ietf-“ for IETF modules and
>    “iana-“ for IANA-maintained modules. Prefix values SHOULD NOT be
>    too long and SHOULD NOT conflict with known modules that have been
>    previously published.
>
> Cheers,
> Med

Jürgen Schönwälder              Constructor University Bremen gGmbH