From: Jürgen Schönwälder <jschoenwaelder@constructor.university>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2024 3:13 PM
To: Robert Peschi (Nokia) <robert.peschi=40nokia....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: Italo Busi <Italo.Busi=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>; netmod@ietf.org
Subject: [netmod] Re: Yang Scalability

[You don't often get email from
jschoenwaelder@constructor.university<mailto:jschoenwaelder@constructor.university>.
 Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

CAUTION: This is an external email. Please be very careful when clicking links
or opening attachments. See the URL nok.it/ext for additional information.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 08:01:27AM +0000, Robert Peschi (Nokia) wrote:

> Using templates also means transmitting much less data from the client to the
> device server, e.g. during a copy-config. Naturally, this would accordingly
> reduce protocol transmission penalty. It also greatly reduces the footprint
> of the running data store on the persistent memory of the device.

Configuation templates were left out of standardization many years ago.  There
was no interest to standardize configuration templates (perhaps companies
needed ways to distinguish products or finding agreement on a standard template
format was considered too hard and time consuming or ...). RFC 8342 (published
March 2018) acknowledges the existence of configuration template mechanisms but
also notes that they are proprietary:

   o  Some implementations have proprietary mechanisms that allow

      clients to define configuration templates in <running>.  These

      templates are expanded automatically by the system, and the

      resulting configuration is applied internally.

The question is whether it is possible now (starting in 2024) to define a
standard configuration template mechanism that has a chance to be implemented
widely. See also the YANG next issue #18 (opened on 2017-03-17).

Jürgen Schönwälder              Constructor University Bremen gGmbH