In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Tony Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 19 Jun 2008, "David J. Ruck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 19 Jun 2008 Chris Terran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> After 4 or 5 repeats of clicking on "Next" (it varies), the whole
>>> thing grinds to a halt, with fewer and fewer thumbnails being
>>> displayed.
>>
>>> Other network problems also start to appear -- Oregano2 sometimes
>>> won't start, News Ticker freezes, and NS won't display new pages.
>>
>>> Quitting NS seems to reset things.
>>
>> Sounds like its eating sockets. My older version of NS uses up to 20
>> rendering the pages, but seems to give them back agaim.
>>
>> Run !SktCtr (http://www.pittdj.co.uk/software/index.htm to monitor the
>> number of free sockets during rendering.

> My SARPC, 128MB, RO6.06, NS (17 Jun 2008) r4376, fetched pages 1-12
> simultaneously, without any problem. The socket count reduced from 89 to
> 69, and then returned to 89, when the fetch was complete. NetSurf used
> about 10MB of memory. The machine behaved normally throughout.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and comments.

I get similar socket figures to Tony and Druck, so that seems OK.
Memory also seems fine -- 512MB machine, no Aemulor running, 400MB
free. DA usage seems normal.

I'm using the current NS (r4376, 17 Jun). I've double-checked that I'm
using the correct NS modules. I've set all NS's memory, cache and
connection settings to their defaults, then tried increasing them.
I've tried using a proxy server, to no effect.

All I can add is that I get "Connection time-out" messages when it
starts going wrong.

I'm mystified by this. I do actually need to use this specific site
too, so I can't just shrug my shoulders and go elsewhere :-/

Is there anything else that could possibly cause this to happen?
Router settings, perhaps? Something to do with the ISP? (It's a Virgin
4Mbit cable connection, with no history of other problems. Well, apart
from being Virgin, of course ;-) )

Thanks again for the help, anyway!

Best, Chris

--
*** Chris & Lee's Photodesk tutorials, tips and resources
*** http://www.photodesk.iconbar.com *** New tiles!