Keith Hopper <asg...@inspire.net.nz> wrote:
> In article <ca253e2f50.r...@user.minijem.plus.com>,
>    Richard Porter <r...@minijem.plus.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm trying to imagine just how you would intonate 'emphasised' and
> > 'strong' so as to differentiate them. In fact I don't really know what
> > 'strong' means in this context.
>
>      Neither do I, in general; however, some combination of pauses,
> rising/falling tones, increased/reduced volume, changing what is known as
> attack etc are available to the style sheet designer and will be quite as
> effective as visual forms of styling. The audible effects used, however,
> are very often also tied to a particular language which in normal use is
> intoned differently from other languages.

The sort of modern natural voice synthesisers we are using in screen
readers for the visiually impared, have all sorts of parameters which you
can use to change the emphaisis. They actually read passages of text
superbly well with, and honestly, sometimes it is extremely difficult to
tell it appart from an actual recording.

Cheers
---Dave

--
Email: dr...@druck.org.uk