   Roger Darlington <roger...@freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2009, Keith Hopper wrote:
> > In article <920b6d2e50.roger...@rogerarm.freeuk.com>,
> >    Roger Darlington <roger...@freeuk.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> >> It doesn't if that end tag is </i>.
> >
> >> So a line like <i>this</i> with 'this' in italics and a space before
> >> the 'with' shows 'thiswith' all next to each other with no space
> >> between.
> >
> >      How quirky! I must admit to never using the 'i' element as it has been
> > deprecated for some years - but interesting.

> That so?
> What single <TAG> replaces it?

     The element which should be used is the 'em' element and, instead of
the 'b' element, use 'strong'. The reason for the others being deprecated
is a desire to separate styling from the reason that a content needs a
particular style - 'i' and 'b' imply a particular form of styling in visual
terms. They are of little use in audio terms, however. I frequently style
the 'em' and 'strong' tags in terms of colour rather than font style -
sometimes both - such is the flexibility of the cascading style sheet
mechanism.

                         Keith

--
Inspired!