On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:57:37PM +0000, Kevin Wells wrote:
> >Absolutely.  Just because we're dropping it now doesn't mean we'll
> >refuse it later.  Although the longer it is left, the more work will be
> >required.
> How much work is involved for some one who knows no C at all.

That entirely depends on the person.

When I learned C, it took me about a week of evenings to become reasonably
competent.  However I know people who picked it up in days and people who took
months.  Simply knowing C is insufficient however; since then you need to
understand a non-trivial codebase (NetSurf) and all the libraries it uses
(libcss, hubbub, curl, openssl etc) to a sufficient level that you will be able
to trace and debug issues and implement new features.

Learning the codebase enough to be able to hack on NetSurf took me a few days
to begin with; but months to be really productive.

I don't expect a non-committed programmer to be able to take over the RO
frontend effectively.  By 'committed' I mean someone who 1. writes code as part
of their job (in whatever language) and 2. writes code for their own
edification.  A casual coder is unlikely to have the kind of mind which can
cope with the job.

I'm not trying to put people off; just to make it clear that it's not the sort
of job for someone who was a casual BASIC programmer and has now read a C book.

Regards,

Daniel

--
Daniel Silverstone                       http://www.netsurf-browser.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69