On 22 Apr 2011 Tim Hill  wrote:

> In article
> <out-4dade8b7.md-1.4.17.chris.yo...@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk>, Chris
> Young <chris.yo...@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:12:23 +0100, Tim Hill wrote:

>>> On the subject of searching, is there any future plan to implement
>>> search from the URL bar? I would like to type, say, 'banana' into the
>>> bar and a search result to appear if a DN lookup fails to find
>>> http://banana

>> That was present at one point but has been disabled/removed.  Some of
>> the other frontends have a dedicated search bar alongside the URL bar,
>> you might want to put a feature request in for one to be added to the
>> RISC OS frontend.

> Um, no. I would rather the search from the RISC OS front end was
> performed from the single text input icon, as I think I said. Having a
> 'search box' alongside it is a waste of screen real-estate as it could be
> performed within existing furniture.

I agree, but why not just put a search box on your local home page? My
default startup page has links for all my usual sites, including
formlets for logging in where possible (i.e. forms with just a submit
button, the username and password fields being preset and hidden), and
forms for Google, ebay and streetmap.co.uk.

[snip]

> In one case nearly 50% of the screen was covered in add-on toolbars to
> MIE. :-o Doncha just love Windows' redundancy paradigm? Thanks heavens
> for f11.

I've just had to set up a Windross laptop. Internet Exploder was so
full of crap I didn't even bother to clean it up - I just used it to
download Firefox.

--
Richard Porter                        http://www.minijem.plus.com/
                                      mailto:r...@minijem.plus.com