>  My BMP file starts with the characters 'BM' as viewed in a text editor.

> It does indeed start with 'BM' but I'm mostly sure that it wasn't
> generated with DPIngScan. Bound to be from the dark side, really, but it
> does beg the question how many other BadFile types might there be
> lurking out there?

It's not a 'bad file type' any more that DOC is a bad file type.

BMP is a Windows Bit MaP file.  It's not very efficient, but nor is a
SpriteFile.

If you can't read that file, then either the file is corrupt (easy enough
with e-mail) or you haven't got ImageFS (or whatever you use) set up to
convert BMP files.

Regards

--
John Harrison