In message <52251d32acch...@chris-johnson.org.uk>
          cj <ch...@chris-johnson.org.uk> wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that if a mail fetch initiates while NetSurf
> is rendering a page, then NS exits with a fatal error?

> Before submitting a report, it would be interesting to know whether
> anyone else has experienced this.

> It has done it several times here over the past few weeks(?), but has
> taken me a while to realise the connection. I have now tried fetching
> a web page and then forcing a mail fetch - it gives the error
> sometimes - it may depend on exactly where NS has reached in the
> rendering when the mail fetch starts and whether the page to be
> rendered is already in the cache or not.

> Forcing a news/rss fetch while NS was rendering a page caused NetSurf
> to just vanish from the iconbar, with no error message. The pages
> used for the test were ROOL pages.

> I did these tests with r13071, but the errors have also occurred with
> earlier releases. Machine is an Iyonix with RISC OS 5.17. Mail/news
> software is Netfetch with Hermes and NewsHound.

I've been experiencing random quits from Netsurf in recent revisions
since 2.8 was released.  Not been able to pin them down to anything,
and often after restarting NS it will have no problem with the page.
I've seen it on a variety of sites and locally rendered pages (email
attachments).  One instance was a Dabs.com offer email where NS quit
without warning long after the page had rendered.  As I hadn't seen
any other mentions I haven't reported it up to now.  Will grab a log
next time it happens.

Just tried loading the news.bbc.co.uk page and running a mail fetch
(Netfetch/Hermes) and got a Netsurf error followed by quit.  I've got
a 50K zip file of the log if wanted.  In the instances above I rarely
get an error box, just a sudden quit from the iconbar.

--
Grahame Parish