In article <970f2cef52.iyoj...@rickman.argonet.co.uk>,
   John Rickman Iyonix <rick...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I would like to be able to fix some heading content on a page so that
> when the page is scrolled the heading stays on the screen.

As you've seen position:fixed is not implemented.  It is treated as
position:absolute.

Originally this was because there was no way to implement it in a way that
would give satisfactory performance e.g. on peoples' RiscPCs.  It forces a
serious penalty on scrolling pages that use it.

Same with background-attachment:fixed.

Now we're less bothered about that, but we aren't likely to implement it
before the layout engine rewrite.

> Is there anyway to do this that would work in NetSurf?
> A JavaScript solution is obviously not on.

Only HTML Frames, but they have their own limitations.

Does your design actually need it?  Usually I detest it when I see it.  :)
The performance penalty can affect e.g. Chrome/Firefox on modern PCs too,
although to a lesser extent.

--

Michael Drake (tlsa)                  http://www.netsurf-browser.org/