On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:58:52 +0100, Peter Young wrote:

> If I load, for instance, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ as the first site
> of a session, it loads maybe a little faster, but then I get
> intermittent hourglass activity for sometimes up to thirty seconds,
> during which I can't do anything else. There are several other sites,
> for instance Wikipedia home page, which do the same. And the next day
> the same happens.

I'm sure Vince will correct me here, but I believe NetSurf saves the
cache files to disk when they are downloaded (as opposed to when they
are evicted from the memory cache), so you will get a delay as NetSurf
gets busy saving the files.

If you've gone back to the same site though most of the files should
be loading from disk and I wouldn't expect any additional delay.  You
will need to post a log file so we can get a handle on exactly what is
causing the pauses.

> Looking in !Cache, which is in !Boot.!Resources, I find that in the
> Caches.Default.NetSurf directory there are currently 1933 files,
> totalling 22449384 bytes. Is this to be expected, as I don't use
> NetSurf a huge amount?

Yes.  That's only 22MB.  The default limit is 1GB.

> I've already excluded this directory from my
> daily backup, which has been taking a lot longer since I started using
> !Cache.

There's no point in backing up these files.

Chris