On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 07:04:53PM +0100, David Pitt wrote:
> Peter Young, on 23 Jun, wrote:
>
> > I've been using the disc cache on RISC OS 2.19, ARMini, and I seem to have
> > found some downsides to it, and I wonder if (a) I'm doing it correctly and
> > (b) if it's worth the occasional faster opening of some sites.
> >
> > If I load, for instance, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ as the first site of a
> > session, it loads maybe a little faster, but then I get intermittent
> > hourglass activity for sometimes up to thirty seconds, during which I
> > can't do anything else. There are several other sites, for instance
> > Wikipedia home page, which do the same. And the next day the same happens.
>
> I have found much the same, a really good example of this is the Daily
> Mail's heavy weight site.

Ultimately, my advice is to not visit this service.  This stands
regardless of any cache issues that may exist :)

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
>
> Writes to the Raspberry Pi's SD Card are so slow that !Cache is not going to
> be good news on it. It is better with !Cache on a Fat32 harddisc connected
> to the Pi and on the Iyonix but is still an issue.

Indeed, SD has poor write performance almost anywhere, like most
flash-based devices.

> Overall I was not persuaded that the cache results is any meaningful speed
> up and could even slow things up, not just on the Raspberry Pi but also on
> the Iyonix and VRPC on a Windows 7 laptop with an SSD.

Certainly on UNIX and BeOS, it seems to provide a significant
performance boost, but this is probably because of their far superior IO
layers.

On RISC OS, the disc cache *may* only be a win for people on slow
connections.

B.