On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 01:32:58PM +0100, Steve (plusnet) wrote:
> Secondly, it's not true to say file system operations block everything
> in RISC OS - some file systems (notably ADFS) implement "background
> transfers" which allow much of RISC OS to continue to operate while the
> underlying file operation runs (e.g. via DMA or some such). However,
> many
> file systems _don't_ implement background transfers - e.g. SDFS - so
> these will hog the system for the duration of the low-level operation.

But even with background transfers, the Wimp will typically not
continue, no?  My understanding is that OS_File SWIs that write data
only return when the data is written, and thus the application cannot
call Wimp_Poll to allow multitasking to continue - and even if you're
using UnixLib threads this doesn't help you because threading does not
continue over such SWIs.

(Getting into the technical distinctions between WIMP and non-WIMP tasks
was something I was trying to avoid getting into on the user's mailing
list :)

B.