On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 09:02:42 +0100 Stuart Winsor wrote:

> I just wish I was able to work on NetSurf because I think it is the one
> piece of software that everybody in RO land uses and is the most
> beneficial to the community as a whole. It is also the achilles-heel that
> deters new adopters and causes people to move to other OSs.
>
> Unfortunately, a little 8085 assembler for an OU course in
> microprocessors
> and a few simple programs in Basic, back in the early days of the model
> B,
> form the limits of my programming skills.

My uncle trained many years ago in Adult Education.  One thing he said
has always stuck with me: that adults possess no less ability to learn
than do children.

I've become aware over the years since then that the big difference
between children and adults is their attitude.  No-one tells children
that they can't learn, and so they go through all their childhood
years learning at an astonishing rate.  Then something happens, and
they persuade themselves (or each other) that learning is no longer
possible.

Perhaps one force is the fear of the embarrassment of failure.  In my
career, I'm used to trial and error: usually almost as much error as
trial, bearing in mind the number of trials that have to be gone
through on the way to a single success!  Don't be embarrassed, just
learn what to do next time.

I'm in my mid sixties, and learning new things is something I enjoy.

To anyone who thinks they can't learn something new, I would commend
a change of attitude.  Be positive.  Think in terms of what you might
be able to do - if only you try.

Try, and you might succeed.  Don't try, and you certainly won't
succeed.

Dave