I have not read Castells, but your paraphrase brings an interesting memory to
mind. The day after Brezhnev’s death, I found on the street in NYC, near the
Mission of the USSR to the United Nations, a number of 16mm films, including
B’s massive biopic, “Life Story of a Communist.” More interesting in this
context was a short film called “Machine Construction in the Soviet Union.” In
it, the latest achievements in computerization and applied robotics were
extolled. The configuration of devices depicted was symptomatic of a certain
kind of “oversight” in both senses: it was a computer controlled-robot which
assembled with great precision mechanical wrist watches. Further East, the
first Casio watches were soon to appear.

Keith Sanborn