2011/1/10 mike cloaked <mike.cloa...@gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Franco Miceli
> <fmic...@plan.ceibal.edu.uy> wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > I have been dealing with the AP algorithm selection a few months ago. The
> > one that selects the best connection is NM. If you get the src you can
> see
> > it in the file nm-device-wifi.c (for the wireless connections).
> >
> > The way it is implemented in nm 0.7 (which is the one I have been working
> > on) is that NM will go through each favourite connection you have, and
> > comparing them with the ones available from scan results. It does not
> > prioritize on signal strength rather than timestamp. Which means if the
> one
> > you last connected to is available it will connect to that one.
> >
> > I have been playing with the code in order to make that selection signal
> > sensitive. In order to do that you need to get signal strength info. The
> > method nm_ap_get_strength(ap) can help get such data. The thing is that
> not
> > all wireless adapters report well signal strength, but if you trust
> yours,
> > then you can make this mod.
> >
> > Hope I could help. If you need I can share the code I used.
>
> Thanks Franco - I need to understand a few things - The version that
> is current in F14 that I am running is
> NetworkManager-0.8.1-10.git20100831.fc14.i686 and, as José Queiroz
> mentions in his subsequent reply, there have been many important
> changes since v7, although he does not reference a link to what those
> changes have been in v0.8.
>
> However, what I do not know is whether the selection of AP was made
> signal sensitive in the implemented changes in 0.8 or not? Certainly
> the last signal used appears to be the one selected when booting up
> the machine after switching off previously, which would be a
> reasonable "first option" for the starting choice, but then a
> secondary criterion where a stronger signal that already has been
> used, and is listed in the connections in NM, would be selected and
> switched in instead.  Having such a two-stage selection would be what
> would suit me (and many others) better than just going to the last one
> used.
>
> I wonder if José Queiroz would tell us if this is in fact what has
> been implemented in 0.8 (or 0.81 or 0.82) or not? That would be very
> helpful.  If this has been put into the code but has residual bugs
> then presumably getting some data and putting in a bug report so that
> developers could look at fixing it would be the way forward?
>
> A nice level headed and fact based approach to this would be ideal.

I could swear that this was already discussed here, but the only reference I
found was another message of mine.

In the lack of good references, I ran to my kubuntu box. I also have an ESS
in my home.

My syslog shows several messages from wpa_supplicant about group rekeyings
to one of the APs (the one that haves the strongest signal in the place I
usually use my notebook).

In one moment, I see messages from the kernel about deauthenticating the
first AP, and authenticating the second one. Around these messages, I see
only messages from wpa_supplicant, even though NM debugging is enabled. So I
concluded that this reassociation was ordered by wpa_supplicant, not by NM.
But, I admit, this is only an empirical verification; I didn't checked any
code to confirm this.