You bring up so many different points, that it's hard to keep track of
them. It would be better to discuss them individually or open Bugs for
it.

> I managed to also integrate it with the plasma applet thing for KDE
> 4,
> which is really nice in user interface terms for the largest part
> (after
> you realise the non-button-like tool icon is not decoration but a
> vital
> part of its configuration).

> Which is not a NM issue but KDE, it is one of the least intuïtive
> ways
> to present a button and pretend to hope that the user will understand
> click on it. The argument against the argument against was probably
> "well, he just has to hover over it, doesn't he"?. Anyway.

KDE/plasma-nm design decision. Please open a bug.

> I happened to create a kind of forward shell script that added the
> option --cipher none to NM's openvpn invocation. This may be the
> cause
> of my current problems, in that NM constantly loses track of an
> existing
> openvpn connection/process.

From your wrapper script, do you invoke the openvpn binary with "exec",
contrary to "call"? That seems important.

> Symptoms I've seen were:
>
> * OpenVPN takes longer to connect due to an issue. When finally it
> connects (as it keeps running in the background) this happens:
>
> /usr/lib/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper --tun -- tun0 1500 1528
> 10.8.0.6 10.8.0.5 init
>
> Could not send configuration information: The name
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn was not provided by any
> .service
> files".

your installation seems broken.

> So basically what I see is that if OpenVPN disconnects, it notifies
> NM,
> but once it reconnects, NM doesn't know and the process becomes like
> ghost process.
>
> And I have to manually shut it down each and every time.
>
> At least if I run my VPN manually I have NO ISSUES except for the one
> issue that NM will not allow me to remove the default route for its
> managed connection.
>
> So whatever way you frame it, NM is really my only issue ;-). OpenVPN
> itself works without a hitch.
>

> ==============================
>
> Then you have the problem that NM doesn't know about OpenVPN's
> "cipher
> none" mode. You cannot get it (I cannot get it) to pass that
> parameter
> to OpenVPN.

It's a UI bug only (https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-openvp
n/commit/?id=be63c404a146704e3e4840f050d5bdd63bc94826)
You can still use the none cipher by configuring it either with nmcli
or by editing the connection file under /etc/NetworkManager/system
-connections/.

> ==============================
>
> The only benefit for NM for me at this point is its gui. Without the
> lock icon in the system tray, it is hard for me to know whether I am
> running VPN or not. And because of its interface it's easier to start
> and stop it. Using the console to do that is not fun.
>
> ==============================
>
> Sometimes my tunnel fails and since it is a simple SSH tunnel using
> /root/.ssh/config but with a custom startup script, I have to check
> on
> its status using the console. That is tiresome by itself, but OpenVPN
> is
> capable of just picking up where it left; it's just that NM mostly is
> not.
>
> ==============================
>
> I have a custom dispather.d script that sets another route on vpn-up.
> need this for my tunnel host (which is also the VPN host). I think I
> can
> also do this using VPN options (extra routes) but my problem at this
> point is this:
>
> Is there a way to obtain the equivalent of OpenVPN variable
> "net_gateway"? _ net_gateway _ is a variable that indicates the OLD
> gateway address before VPN is activated. I know there is IP4_ROUTE_N
> and
> IP4_NUM_ROUTES. But at best this is a list of all routes. Do I have
> manually search it for the route to 0.0.0.0? Same for VPN_, I don't
> know
> if it contains the new route or the old routes. Maybe both even.

IP4_GATEWAY environment variable. See `man NetworkManager`
Or `nmcli -t -f IP4.GATEWAY connection show uuid $CONNECTION_UUID`

> In OpenVPN the program gives me the required route target so I don't
> have to fix it in any script. With NM I have to write a custom script
> or
> add a route to the config that seems to have to be fixed????.
>
> ==============================
>
> When NM has a connection as managed, manual interference with IP
> address
> and such becomes impossible. I consider this a big problem. The
> problem
> does not arise with adding new IP addresses to any device.

What is your basis to claim "impossible". It is possible. What issues
did you encounter?

> ==============================
>
> When manually using OpenVPN from/above/on top of a connection that is
> managed, I cannot remove the default route of the managed connection,
> whereas that is mostly 'necessary' for the main type of VPN use.
>
> NM should honour user decisions more instead of forcing correctness
> from
> its own model, which is (or very likely can be) incomplete.
>
> The fallacy is to think or consider that NM is always fully
> configured.

You can configure default-routes externally. NM should not interfere if
you set "ipv4.never-default=yes".

> Or even that it is feature complete.

> The issues with "forgetting" the OpenVPN process could be caused by
> my
> renaming openvpn to openvpn.real. But that would be rather odd
> because
> it would imply a dependency on the process NAME whereas it seems as
> though NM takes care of a 'callback' feature in OpenVPN.

Maybe it's "forgetting" the process, because your wrapper script spawns
away. Did you use "exec"?

Thomas