>> On 08 November 2017 at 16:54 Thomas Haller <thal...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 13:40 +0100, Iñigo Martínez wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > These past few months I have been porting some libraries and
>> > applications to meson build system[0], within the "MesonPorting"
>> > initiative[1] that tries to port packages under GNOME umbrella to
>> > meson.
>> >
>> > As you may know, meson is a new build system which offers some
>> > benefits over autotools, of which I would like to highlight the
>> > following: it's very user friendly and usually, faster.
>> >
>> > The fact that NetworkManager is quite large, and due to the effort it
>> > would require to port it to meson, I would like to know if including
>> > meson as build system could be interesting.
>> >
>> > Please let me know any comment or suggestion you may have.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > [0] http://mesonbuild.com/
>> > [1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/MesonPorting
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it seems that meson could significantly speed up the build,
>> which would be a very interesting thing to have.
>>
>> Yes, we want to port to meson, but due to the amount of work, nobody
>> started doing that (yet).
>>
>> Patches very welcome!
>>

> We build it within Yocto, so wouldn't want that to be ditched (meson
> cross-building supported in Yocto? And/or keep autotools build as an option)

That's an issue, yes. Although I don't have an answer for it,
`systemd` developers already had a discussion about the same issue[0].

The two build systems can live together. However, this can lead to one
of them being a burden.

Please, let me now if this issue is a problem for you.

Best regards,

[0] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6376