On Mon, 2018-10-08 at 09:24 +0200, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've SIM-PIN blocked one of my SIM cards just by having a gsm
> autoconnected settings with a PIN stored and then PIN not matching
> the
> one in the device. When this happens, NM will try to unlock SIM-PIN
> once, and if it fails it won't try again (good) (*)... until the next
> reboot (bad). So, I forgot about this setup and after just a couple
> of
> system reboots got the SIM-PIN blocked, and had to recover it with
> the
> PUK.
>
> Don't know if this kind of thing is done in other kinds of settings,
> but could we completely remove the SIM-PIN stored within the settings
> if it fails once, so that not even on the next reboot the unlock with
> the wrong PIN is attempted? Or is this considered a user error? I'm
> not exactly sure where to draw the line about this issue, I think I
> have pros and cons for both solutions, so just opening the question
> here.
>
> What do you think?
>
> (*) It also doesn't re-ask the user for the PIN right away, still
> need
> to get trace logs as thaller suggested.

Hi,

That sounds good to me.

it's slightly ugly, that activating a profile may result in writing it
anew to disk. But we already do that when (for example with Wi-Fi),
when the password is wrong and we get a better password from the secret
agent. While a bit odd that activating a profile may re-write it, it
probably makes sense.

best,
Thomas