I'd like to amen that... I'm starting to see something here that's concerning
me.  I think that some of the developers have lost touch with what we as web
admins need.  We need a server that does following (in order I think.) (and
all of this of course is IMHO):

1) A stable server
2) One that isn't too memory intensive out of the box.
3) One that is fast.
4) One that lets us use SSI.  (LOTS AND LOTS of sites use SSI...)
5) One that lets us tune our heavy/light weight servers better.  (One of the
things that I've been waiting for is Apache 2.0 and mod_perl 2.0.  With
Apache's threaded MPM, this LOOKS like we can really tune apache such that our
mod_perl procs won't be SOO big...  And with some of the stuff that was talked
about with mod_perl 2.0, it looks like we'll really be able to cut some more
of the memory out.)
6) One that all it basically does is serve web pages.  I do NOT need another
email server, another proxy server, another FTP server, another you name it...
;)

First, the part about making apache a multi-proto server while nice, I am VERY
concerned that it's gonna be holding up Apache 2.0.  Apache 2.0 is VERY VERY
late now... A number of my co-workers are switching to other servers because
apache just can't handle the load any more. :(  With 2.0, I THINK that it
could but it's not out, so we can't find out.  (And if ANYONE suggests that we
put the current apache 2.0 out onto a production server, they ought to be
shot. :))

So please, let's get 2.0 stable and out the door...

--
Jeff (FurBall)
WebOverdrive Newbie Tech Board