Bob Bonifield wrote:

> Yes, I have had this problem is settings as well.  Your problem is in that
> your desktop display is only set to 640x480...KDE needs atleast 1024x768 to
> be able to view the full screen properly.  Don't worry, it's not gonna be
> too small of text :).  Now, I'm sorry to say...I don't know exactly how to
> change your video display.  I have only been using linux for about 2-3
> weeks and I did that the first day I got it....sorry, but I'm sure one of
> these other linux techies can help ya out.  Later and good luck.
>
> At 05:13 AM 3/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >I have just installed 5.3 and find in KDE that some of the window
> >screens, goes through the bottom of the main screen, for instance, Gimp.
> >When the icon is clicked on once, GIMP installation comes up, the screen
> >goes through the bottom and I can't shove it high enough to get to the
> >bottom of it. It must have buttons at the bottom, that need to be
> >pressed, because I can't get rid of it, noway, nohow. I have had the
> >same problem with Netscape, while trying to set it up. What do I need to
> >do?

I think this might be a "problem" with KDE or Qt itself, I'm not sure but it is
annoying, I agree.
The only work around I can suggest is (if you still want to use KDE, that is)
to let X know you can and want other resolutions for your X desktop.

When you installed X, did you just accept the default? I'm not sure but if you
want to change the resolution, you might need to tell the installer (or some X
config file somewhere) that you want this.

The easiest way for me, is to run Xconfigurator. This should look familiar -
it's the same program that ran when you installed Mandrake. When it comes to
the resolution part, choose your own. Mark all those you want and go through
the rest of it. Later in X, you can Ctrl-Alt +/- to change it.
The thing is, you might well be stuck with the highest resolution your X-server
can provide due to certain limitations. Why? Well...usually, for me the
"default" always seems to be the highest possible resolution the X server can
do - even if it means decreasing colour depth.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Kuraiken