Iam replying to you directly regarding the Gimp problem you were having
because I don't know whether anyone adressed the problem or not. I had
the same problem, ie: Gimp would appear to be doing setup and then it
would vanish. When I ran it from the command line(terminal
window:gimp&)I got an error message about 8bit color and that it need
sixteen or better, there is a command you can add to the gimprc script
to get it to work with 8bit color but I don't remember what it is off
hand. The best thing if you can is use the startx -- -bpp 16
Hope this helps, Iam a newbie myself, this is the only thing I have
gotten
figured out, heh