How do I change my machine name?

and

I have installed secure shell and it works fine but I want to add the secure
shell directory into my path so I can run it anywhere from the command line.  I
have tried setting the path but everytime I change it and I exit the shell it
goes back to what it was.  How do I go about changing the path and then making
sure that it stays what I set it to (I am doing this as the root user just in
case that makes a difference.)  I keep making changes to my settings only to
find them restored to default when I return.

and

How can I create a user account that will give me all of the functionality of
the root user without having to run under root all the time?

--

Tom McCurdy, Jr.