Bob,

At 02:13 PM 3/24/99 -0600, Bob Bonifield wrote:
>..I just needed to know a way to bypass
>having to login in linux and make it so mandrake will automaticly start up
>KDE on launch.

The program which controls how the initial processes are spawned is
(surprise) init, and it's controlled by a file name (surprise again)
/etc/inittab. If you do a "man inittab" you'll get the manual page for the
inittab file. This is where you cause a program to start automatically.
Ordinarily the program which start automatically are (surprise yet again)
the ones which prompt you to login!

Often you'll see a UNIX system at a dedicated station with some user
interface (like a medical office appointment scheduler) which is
automatically started every time the system boots. No login prompt or
anything. Just the user interface starts up. Most of the time the users
don't even know there is a UNIX system underneath running things.

The problem you might have is how to gracefully shut the system down
without a keyboard. For that I'd probably look at spoofing a UPS input, and
when you want things to shut down fake the UPS signal.

Another thing you might want to consider, and I don't know enough about the
mp3 player, is to skip trying to run the whole kde package and just spawn
the interface necessary to run the sounds.

MB
--
Michael R. Batchelor
Industrial Informatics & Instrumentation, Inc.