-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of jowilker
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 1999 1:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Internet/modem

Larry, The modem in your box is probably in an unjumpered mode aka PNP. You
need
to pull the card and set the jumpers to com 2. Plug n Play is for windose
and
can't be used in linux.

The modem and mouse used to conflict a lot. I think all mouses using serial
can
be used without prioritizing them, the cdroms are atapi, and modems pnp.
Makes
life easier for the other world. Linux is still in school, even though it's
big
for it's age.

Try jumpering to com2 and give it a whirl.

John

--
John R. Wilkerson
1442 B-1 New Castle