Jeffrey M Wolfe wrote:

> Ok - I know this may not seem like the wisest thing to do - and I have
> to admit that I'm impressed by the KDE environment, but where do I start
> to find out how to experiment with the other graphical environments? I
> admit it - I don't know how to switch from KDE to one of the other
> graphical setups. Any suggestions on where to start looking?
> (Please be gentle....)

It will depend on what you want to try.  To move from the full desktop
of KDE to a simple window manager, it's just a matter of installing the
window manager and editing one file.

I recently downloaded the GNOME 1.0 packages to give them a try.  After
quite a while of downloading, the installation was painless.  The result
clearly shouldn't have been released as stable, but...

So, do some web browsing, find out what you'd like to try.  Window Maker
is pretty highly regarded, as is AfterStep.  Enlightenment is a
graphically beautiful window manager, but on a slower machine you
sacrifice some of it's cool tricks in exchange for speed.  GNOME, at
this point, should probably be avoided unless you like trying to figure
out why something works one minute, dies the next, and fills your home
directory with core files.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]