> Pat & David Leathers wrote:
>
> Hi:
>
> Right now I'm running win95.  Within the next week or so I plan to
> upgrade to win98.  I have also ordered a disk with mandrake-5.3.  What
> I would like to do is to set these up so I can dual boot into win98 or
> linux.

Very easy to achieve.

> My question is where can I go or how can I get all the information
> that I will need to do this?  What information do I need to have
> before I start the installation of linux?  Does Linux support fat-32?

Yes, Linux supports FAT32.  It's called vfat under Linux.

> I will end up with two separate hard disk one 3.2 gig and one 3.2 or
> 6.4 gig.  Would it be better to put win98 on one and Lunix on
> another?  After I get win98 up and running good, will it be possible

It will probably be easier on you.  Especially since Win98 will likely
ask you if you want Large Drive Support for their of those two drives.
Windows, in particular, doesn't like being anything but the first drive,
first partition, so you'll want to keep that in mind.  Linux doesn't
really care where it goes, so long as it's loader is available.

> not to mess it up when I install Linux--So I can ask questions online
> if I need too?

Of course.  By default, Linux installations keep the Windows
installation available for boot anytime.  Simply choose 'dos' at the
boot prompt and away you go!  It does make it tremendously easier having
a working, alternate operating system incase you run across a stumper
when working with Linux.

> One thing that bothers me is that most folks seem to have big problems
> getting Linux installed.  I have been reading some news-groups and
> there are numerous horror stories.  But from what I have heard it is
> very hard to install Lunix.  I thought that it would be best to
> prepare as best as I can.

Installations have gotten alot easier in the past couple years.  I have
to admit that I've been using Linux for quite a while now, but
installation is basically a no-brainer for most things.

Make notes of your installation, writing down where you installed
certain things.  You'll probably want to write down what partition is
your root, which is your swap, and which is Windows.  If you have your
monitor manuals available, they'll probably come in handy when entering
some information to configure the X Window System.  Know which comports
are your mouse and modem.  Beyond that, it's just a matter of picking
items from a menu.

As one of the other replies noted, choose "Custom" from the installation
menu.  You'll be given a menu of "high level" functions that you'd like
to accomplish on your system.  Just pick the things that sound likely or
interesting and you're all set!

As always, feel free to mail the list with anything you have questions
about.  We've all been through the installation and are glad to help new
users.  Enjoy!

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]