Kuraiken wrote:

> Steve Philp wrote:
>
> > Lawrence Sayre wrote:
> > >
> > > I've just switched to Mandrake 5.3 from SuSE 5.3, and in SuSE my
> > > computer auto-launched into KDE (bypassing command line log-in), passing
> > > through 'Klogin' (at least that's what I believe its called) for loging
> > > on the user and password....
> > >
> > > How do I do this in Mandrake?
> >
> > Type:
> >
> >         /opt/kde/bin/kdm_on
> >
> > and you should be all set!
> >
> > If this doesn't work, and I haven't tried it, drop another note and I'll
> > post the instructions for editing /etc/inittab.
> >

> > --
> > Steve Philp
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for butting in like this but could you send my the /etc/inittab
> modifications? Running tha above script alone does not have the desired
> effect. I think it's because, unlike Lawrence, I installed clean with
> Mandrake.

I'd imagine that Lawrence also ended up doing a clean install and
formatting the partition that SuSE was previously on.

It's rather odd that the instructions didn't work for you.  Have you
tried rebooting since the change?  or typing "telinit 5"?  You'll need
to do one of the two to cause the change to take effect.

If neither of those solutions fix it, here's what you need to change in
/etc/inittab.  Find the line that reads:

        id:3:initdefault:

and change it to read:

        id:5:initdefault:

Then find the line that reads:

        x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

and change it to read:

        x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

Then do the reboot or telinit command mentioned above.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]