Bob Bonifield wrote:

> Hey everybody.  I am currently trying to update my Glib to 1.2.0 and my GTK
> to 1.2.0 as well.  I am trying to do so, so that I may update x11amp to the
> latest version.  First I tried updating Glib to 1.2.0.  It compiled fine
> but I don't know how to initialize it or to see if it works properly.
> However, what I did do is try to then compile GTK which requires Glib, and
> it errors saying I need the latest version of Glib.  If anyone could help
> me sort out these issues I would be extremely gratefull.  I would mess
> around with it more, but I am pretty sure these two packages are rather
> important and I don't want to mess up my system by installing them
> incorrectly.  Thanks in advance everybody :)

Wow!  Three at once!

Okay, here's the absolute EASIEST way of getting this accomplished:

1)  Head to ftp.jimpick.com (just a GNOME mirror, any will do, though
the directory might be different) and grab:

        gtk+-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
        gtk+-devel-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
        glib-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm
        glib-devel-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm

2)  Remove the current gtk+ and glib development packages from your
machine:

        rpm -e glib-devel gtk+-devel

        ** NOTE:  It's possible that you don't currently have the devel
        packages installed.  If you don't, rpm will show an error message
        to inform you.

3)  Install the new gtk+ and glib packages:

        rpm -i gtk+-*
        rpm -i glib-*

4)  That's it!

You've now got both the glib/gtk 1.0.6 libraries (which you'll need for
control panel, gimp, and a few other things) as well as the 1.2.0
libraries.  The development files (*.h files, and .a archives) will be
for 1.2.0 so that new programs that you compile will be against the
newest version.

If any of you REALLY feel like you need to compile the glib/gtk+ stuff
on your own, give me a shout and I can probably work through some
instructions for that.  The RPM packages really make it alot easier
though -- and easier to cleanup in case you end up with a mess!

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]