OS: Mandrake 5.3, from CheapBytes GPL CD

Machine: HP Vectra VL 5/75 Series 3, Adaptec SCSI 1542CF with Micropolis
4341NS drive attached. CDROM is an IDE, Sanyo CRD-820P. System has 72M
RAM. The video is Cirrus GD5430, and the NIC is 3Com 3C509-TP.

Issue: System boots to MS-DOS 6.22 fine. The CDROM is using a generic
CDROM.SYS for a driver, but this is also working fine, from DOS. During
installation of Mandrake, the components are located (with the exception
of the NIC, but that's due to this issue) and the drive can be
partitioned fine. Formatting of the disk space proceeds normally, and
the selection of the packages is also fine. However, when the system
attempts to locate the RPMs for installation, it fails, with the error:
Failed to access RPM database. Then the installation aborts, and I get a
message saying its safe to reboot.

At first, I thought it was the CD, but when I use an older Mandrake CD I
have (5.1), one that I HAVE had successful installs from, it also fails
with the same message. Any ideas?

--
Bob James          | http://www.orielinc.com
IS Manager         | [EMAIL PROTECTED]