Steven wrote:

> Hi to everyone,
> I have just installed Mandrake 5.3 , and have run into a some questions which  I
> hope someone out there can help me with.
>
> I took the workstation install during the setup.  Everything seamed to go fine.
> After getting a few things settled o the system I started to mess around and
> see what this new linux had. I found that the new redhat supported my sound card
> which was a great relief since Redhat 5.1 didn't.  I could dl a OSS drive and
> make it work, but there wasn't any defualt support. I  installed Real Audio
> 5.0-3 from a rpm . I went fine . I also got netscape to launch it on clicking
> the  real audio lik. The problemis it will not play the file. I get a error
> that says I need to download a newer verision of the player and try again.
> To the best of my knowleage there isn't a newer one. I thought this might just
> be a quirk in Mandrake, but I installed Redhat 5.2 from a Redhat 5.2 GPL cd and
> the same thing happened. I know in Redhat 5.1 the same player works fine.

Does the supplied welcome.ra (it's named something like that) work?  If
it doesn't it's probably a libraries issue that's covered in the install
documentation.  If that file works, but the one you're trying doesn't,
is it possible that the file you're trying to play is made for the new
G2 players?

> My question: Has any of you run into this? If so have you found a way to fix it?

If the welcome.ra file doesn't play either, then you're running into the
same problem I had.  I ended up creating a simple wrapper script to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the RealPlayer libraries before launching.
Let me know if you need it.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]