Jose Alberto Abreu wrote:

> Hello:
>
> My name is Alberto, and i want my computer to work properly.
>
> This doesnt seem to be an unreasonable desire... Given the fact that computers have
>evolved so much in the last couple of decades, it would sound logical that the
>average joe or jane should be able to use a home desktop computer to help with usual
>busines
> s and home tasks such as wordprocessing, or maybe some semi-profesional
>image-processing (retouching photos and the like).
> Is the desire to be able to perform such simple tasks like consulting e-mail, or
>playing a simple mp3 file without my software freezing and my operating system
>crashing?
>
> Yes, you have guessed it. I, like millions of people all over the world, use the
>operating system created in Redmond.
>
> I believed, like many, many people out there, that this erratic and frustrating
>computer behavior was in some way "normal"... Until I heard about Linux.
>
> I am a journalist, so I did some research. And, the more I learned about this
>wonderful proyect, the more I wanted to try it. But something stopped me (this was
>around a year ago):
>
> "If your VCR blinks '12:00', you should not use Linux"
>
> Well, my VCR blinks "12:00"... And so does my microwave... There have been times
>when even my alarm clock blinks "12:00"... Mhmm...
>
> The "you should know at least how to handle several Unix commands" and the "Linux is
>just for geeks, nobody serious makes software for it" part also did much to
>discourage me. And finally a more technologically saavy friend of mine just shot it
>point blan
> k: "You are planning on going to Linux? Good luck!"
>
> So I decided to delay this very important decision. I believed (and I still do) that
>Linux would eventually evolve out of the "just for engineers" niche and into a more
>mainstream (easier to use and get software for) status.
>
> I thought I would wait for a couple of years for this, but two days ago ran into the
>Mandrake homepage.
>
> I became excited again... ^_^
>
> But, before I become discouraged again, I ask you who are so much more able with
>technology,
> Is it finally time to switch?
>
> I must say that I have no intention of becoming a systems administrator, nor to
>learn more Unix than I know Ms-DOS (which is like 15-20 commands).
>
> I just want my computer to work without having to worry about some piece of badly
>written, undocumented piece of junk software crashing it everytime I try to start a
>simple wordprocessor.
>
> Your thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated...
>
> Jose Alberto Abreu (sorry about all of that yakking... but hey, Im a writer)
>
> ---
> "Free your mind... and your ass will follow"
>                                                              Bono, U2

> Get your PERSONALIZED START PAGE at http://personal.lycos.com

I'm very new to Linux also. What you're asking for is what
everyone wants. Fortunately, Linux can do all that and much
more for you. However, it is MUCH different from Redmond
products. It can have a steep learning curve. I suggest you
go to your local library and see if you can find a book
describing basic Unix concepts. You will find this very
helpful. Also go to
http://www.mcp.com and search for e-books. I think they have
some Linux books you can read online. There's also some
basic stuff on your CD-ROM (although you have to look for
it;I'm not sure where it is) I bought the Macmillan edition
of RedHat 5.2 (Mandrake is pretty much the same but with KDE
added) because it includes a CDROM with 3 useful electronic
books which you can view with Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux
(also included on the CD) or other programs.
Good luck using Linux! Have fun with it;don't be afraid to
experiment;that's how you learn.
--
Lloyd Osten
[EMAIL PROTECTED]