-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Nick Kay
Sent: Monday, April 12, 1999 11:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Formatting problems

At 09:45 12/04/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm trying to install Mandrake 5.3 on a Pentium II 200 with two 4 gig SCSI
>hard drives connected to an Adaptec 2940. I would like to install linux on
>the second hard drive (sdb). However, during a Custom install, after I
>select the partioning I want (600mb root, 128mb swap, the rest as /usr),
and
>the packages I want installed, linux hangs with the following message:
>
>Making ext2 filesystem on /dev/sdb1...
>

>Can anyone please help me format my drive and install linux.
>
>kevin

Can you do a low-level format of the drives from within
the Adaptec bios?
Is the termination correct?
Do you have active termination?
There may be other messages on some of the other
virtual screens - hit ALT F[2345] to see them.

May the fish be with you.

nick@nexnix