On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, you wrote:
> At 06:44 PM 4/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, you wrote:
> >> I plan on installing linux here in a few days, and with installing I
> plan on
> >> buying a new modem.  I was wondering which is the fastest/best?  Anybody
> >> have any good experiences with some modems?  I am currently using Earthlink
> >> as my ISP.  Thanks...
> >>
> >> -soco
> >
> >I have a USR Courier v.everything that I've been using for several
> >years under different OSs and it has been absolutely bullet-proof.
>
> Not to start a "my modem is better than your modem" war, but a tidbit of
> info, I've personally experienced to bring home the point, "Top of the Line"
> does not always equate to "best performance".
>

> Stefan Dozier
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stefan, I didn't mean to imply at all that price=quality. I've just had
good luck with that modem. Your experience with the Sportster is
certainly good news as those modems did have problems a while back. I
also had a Supra FaxModem that worked great also, but I don't know what
their stuff is like now. It's certainly a lot cheaper. The one I had
also had that neat feature of being able to recognize a fax carrier and
route the signal to the appropriate place.  I would be interested in
knowing what other modems of recent vintage that  people are using
successfully under Linux.

Regards,
--
Jonathan Dlouhy