On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 06:18:21AM -0500, Meanie wrote:
> Hey all.. thanks a ton for all the help thus far.  I don't know much,
> but I try to help out when I can. My new problem regards my Realtek 8029
> (NE2k compatible) PCI LAN card.  I was pretty sure I had it set up right
> upon installation (never had a chance to test it out), but after I
> _finally_ got my modem working (read: dialing) it wouldn't actually
> connect to the 'net -- I had Infinite Domain Name Search Syndrome
> (IDNSS).  So I fired up linuxconf and fiddled with the DNS and Gateway
> stuff, and now my modem works but my network card doesn't.  I'm itching
> to fire up linuxconf and meddle some more, but I'm afraid I'll break my
> modem or worse... linuxconf is a scary beast to a newbie; and a
> dangerous one for "adventurous" newbies like myself who like to play
> around with stuff until it works.
>
> The whole "adapter one", "adapter two" thing confuses me.  I set up my
> RTK8029 as adapter one originally and set my 'fictitious' IP address
> that I use on the LAN (172.16.83.2 if it's important).  When my modem
> wouldn't work (dial but not actually connect), I set it up as adapeter
> two on ppp0 and put all the DNS and Gateway info in it.  I also
> (stupidly it seems) changed my domain name to that of my ISP (I was
> desperate).  After that my modem worked.  Is this correct?  Does the
> modem need to be set as a network adapter in linuxconf?  Above all, is
> there a config program I can run to set up my network card?

I'd try the network configurator in control-panel, myself.  I've never been
real fond of linuxconf.

To use network configurator, login as root, start X, open a terminal, type
control-panel, click on the button that looks like a network chart, then
click on the Interfaces button.

Personally, I'd probably delete the two interfaces you've got setup now and
start over.  Click on each of the interfaces (leave 'lo' alone) and click
Remove.  Then click 'Add' to add them back in.  Be sure NOT to set the
ethernet card to default route, since it'll screw up your routing on the PPP
connection.

Drop another message if you need more help.  I have a feeling that the
network configurator will help you out in getting it up and running quickly.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]