On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 02:52:28PM -0400, Luke Vandervort wrote:
> Is there an equivalent to the dos batch commands in linux?
> I would like to start x windows with the following command but do not want to type
>the whole thing everytime.
>
> startx -- -bpp 16

A couple ways to do this...

First, if you want to use that for just your own user, create an alias in
~/.profile like this:

        alias startx="startx -- -bpp 16"

If you want to modify it for all users (really, just make it the default
startup condition for the X server), you'll want to add something to
/etc/X11/XF86Config.  It goes in the Display Section (the last sections) of
the X server that you're using (there are probably three of them listed in
the file).  Just add a line:

        DefaultColorDepth  16

so it'll look something like this:

        Section "Screen"