yeah right. everything being "win" is the main reason i'm trying to get out
of the microsoft lockdown. no the modem is an external netgear xm128 isdn
modem, bri, standard all the way around. also the sound is quite tricky.
this is the second card i've tried. both times sndconfig found the correct
sound card but hangs when attempting to play the sample sound. i've tried
manually installing it (sndconfig --noprobe) and tried many like and unlike
cards(within sndconfig), all with different values. i cannot get the sound.
i've reinstalled to no avail. if someone has an ensoniq pci 1371 chipset
card (i think linux calls it creative\ensoniq 1371?) and it works fine, is
there a way i could just use the settings you have? i don't know. this is my
3rd day with the os.

thanks for any help.