Putteman Patrick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm affraid Mandrake doesn't have any USB support 'right out of the
> box'. In fact, Linux doesn't have USB support at all for the moment
> unless you compile your own kernel (at least version 2.2.7 (stable) or
> 2.3.3 (development).

Yes, I'm afraid it's quite true. I think we do have support for USB keyboard and
mice though...

> Keep in mind that USB support in Linux is still very BETA and that the
> only OS supporting USB for the moment is Win98.

Not true. MacOS (dunno which is the latest) supports it as well. The iMacs can
do USB zip.

> If I were you, given the actual prices, I'd rush out and buy an
> affordable generic modem instead of taking the risc of tampering your
> system by using very early beta support in the newer kernels. USB will
> be supported under Linux and work is advancing rapidly.

General agreement here. It will really save you a lot of hassle (not to mention
heartache and hair) if you stick with the _supported_ hardware. For Mandrake,
this list is on:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.html

Note: serial modem at the bottom. For best results, use an external serial one.

I am _not_ encouraging the non-use and support of modern (like USB) stuff. I
would like to use them myself, but I'd rather get something I can use _now_ and
I'm not about to downgrade to Windows...

--
Kuraiken - Apprentice Codecaster