Hi,

 probably you are using Mdk 6.0 with kernel <= 2.2.9-19mdk keep new here

 http://coruscant.netrevolution.com/pub/Kernel/

 you ave to check how many kernel packages are installed in you machine

 rpm -q -a | grep kernel

 if you have a PC (and it's no a portable) you don't have need of pcmcia
 problably you don't have neet BOOT too, header and so on
 You have to uninstall the disk optimization if its activated (see at startup
screen) as follow:

 rpm -q -a | grep hdparm             to have a nome_rpm (if it's installed)
 rpm -e [nome_rpm]

 upgrade initscripts too,  initscripts-4.16-24mdk.i586.rpm
 you can get the rpm here:

 ftp://ftp.mandrakesoft.com/pub/bero/fixes/

 good work and excuse me for double reply