On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Rodrigo F Oliveira wrote:

> thank you for your answer. I have tried the command line you told me "rpm -q -a |
> grep kernel", and got the following output:
> kernel-2.2.9-19mdk
> kernel-headers-2.2.9-19mdk
> kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.9-19mdk
> kernel-source-2.2.9-19mdk
> =>kernelcfg-0.5-6mdk
>
> But when I went to the ftp directory I couldn't find the last package
> "kernelcfg-0.5-6mdk".

No need - there's no problem with the current kernelcfg. (It's not a part
of the kernel package itself).

> So, my first question is simple: Should I upgrade all the packages
> listed above except the last one (kernelcfg-0.5-6mdk) which is not in
> the ftp directory and don't bother about it?

Yes.

> And about initscripts rpms... You told me that they were important and
> that I should install them too. The file that I have found in the same
> directory is "initscripts-4.16-26mdk.i586.rpm". Please note that it is
> "26mdk" instead of "27mdk" like the rest of the files. Is it ok?

Yes. initscripts, too, is not a kernel package, so its release number has
nothing to do with the kernel's.

> When doing the upgrade do I have to install it first
> (before all the other files) or the order doesn't matter?

Doesn't matter.

> Now let's go to the next question: Can I use the Kpackage to do the upgrade or I
> am supposed to do it through the term (out of the X) using the second command line
> that you used: "rpm -Uvh".

You can use kpackage. If you want to use the console, you should use rpm
-ivh rather than -Uvh for the kernel packages. That way, your old kernel
will remain on the disk, and if for some reason the new one doesn't work
for you, you can fall back to it.

LLaP
bero