Hy Lei Tie,
When I had the same problem, I found out I had set the modem to the
wrong serial port. If you want to follow the PPP HOWTO, you need
scripts, ppp-on, ppp-off, and ppp-on-dialer, that are in
/usr/docs/ppp-2.3.7/scripts. I moved them to /etc/ppp and filled out
ppp-on with info pertaining to my situation. Also, fill out
pap-secrets, also in /etc/ppp. Eventually, I will get around to using
the kppp dialer, but right now I am too lazy.
adios, Steve W