Hi All,
Sorry my mail is a little long. Please be advised of that.
I have got a friend whom is trying to move away from the Windows
environment, but is having a lot of concerns on whether he'll succeed
or not with Linux. He believes that because Linux is being developed
by hackers throughout the world and it does not have a certified
authentication, it will not last for longer. I've tried my best to
give him an overall picture of Linux  plus the many things he can with
it, but don't think I was convincing enough.  I even showed him some
of my computational work, and the performance of Linux, and many
technical details that Linux has over Windows. But because the
software that I run has a Windows counterpart which does the job for
him he was skeptical, although I could sense how impressed  he was
with Linux, Kde, Gnome , AfterStep and other things.
     He has asked me this simple question: Suppose  that he gets some
work done at work under Excel, Word or  Corel  and he wants to
continue the same work at home where he has a Linux machine. What
chances has he got in porting is work from the Dos environment to
Linux.
My answer to that was that he could either install Staroffice or
WordPerfect in his home machine so that he could port  the job. But
that was all said in theory, since I do not have either of the two
tools in my machine to prove a point, he did not seem very convinced.
Can anybody give me more reasons to convince him. Anyway I'll install
Soffice or WP to convince him.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Regards

Bernardo