VArious people, including me, have reported difficulty printing to
printers on other boxes in networks using Festen and/or Venus.

I have an UGLY solution for now.

In /var/spool/lpd/lp/filter

The lines

if [ "$PRINTER_TYPE" = "SMB" ]; then
    bestpath="$bestpath | ${FPIDIR}/smbprint ${SPOOLDIR}/acct"

change to

if [ "$PRINTER_TYPE" = "SMB" ]; then
    bestpath="$bestpath | /usr/bin/smbprint ${SPOOLDIR}/acct"

AND

change /var/spool/lpd/lp/.config

to read

server=SERVERNAME    #  name your server here  For example mine is a
windows box called testrig so I
                                             #   enter server=TESTRIG
service=PRINTERNAMEONSERVER  #  here mine is called HPWIN  because it is
a stupid winprinter

password='whatever_password_is_assigned'  #  For mine, anything will
work since I haven't set one

user='username'    #optional
logfile=/tmp/errorlog_for_printer_hpwin
#logfile=/dev/null   #works too

I get output which I did not have before.  Plain ASCII seems to go to
limbo on the printer test, but all else seems to print OK

Civileme

ANALYSIS:  The FPIDIR variable appears to point to a path where smbprint
is a directory rather than a filter.