OK, the IP addresses are for the INTERFACES, not for the systems.

What I understand is that you have two computers connected by ethernet.  One has a ppp connection to an ISP for internet connectivity.  You need several simple things:

1.  Your local static IPs had best be class A, B, or C addresses reserved for local networks (Class As are 10.x.y.z  Class Cs are 192.168.x.y (256 networks back to back) and I don't recall the Bs since I never use them)
Of course, the host with the gateway could be 10.0.0.1 and the other could use DHCP if you are set up to run it.

2.  Go to K menu Choose Personal Choose Linux-Mandrake Choose Network on the machine with the PPP interface

Names should show your hostname your domain and the DNS addresses

Hosts should show only 127.0.0.1 (loopback) and the static IP for your host

Interfaces should show 127.0.0.1 as lo Your static IP as eth0 and ppp0 without any IP  To set up ppp, click on ppp0 and choose Edit

Routing is likely where your problem is.

Default gateway SHOULD be blank
gateway device should be ppp0
No other entries should be present

Save and Quit--should work.  Might try ticking the Ipv4 packet forwarding in routing as well.

For a service to connect both nodes to the internet, look at the doc for ipchains or get PaNTs via www.Freshmeat.net

Civileme

Bill Moshier wrote:

I wanted fixed-ip addresses for the local network.  But I
need dynamic IP for the isp.